Wednesday, June 10, 2009


I know where the summer goes.



Aside from suffering from heat exhaustion to the point of near hospitalization, I can't seem to catch a minute to take a breath. I can't be bothered to think about things that were once self-destructive and consuming. And it appears as though I've lost the ability to frown. All of the aforementioned details are positive.

My life is quickly becoming a technicolor kaleidoscope, twisting and turning in every shade of wonderful. Reds, yellows and violets. Although it's a beautiful color in every form, I very rarely see the blues; they're difficult to find these days.

Spf 50, warm swimming pools, wine coolers for breakfast, white eye liner, flashbulbs, kind and confident people, shish kabobs, seedless watermelon, $110 sunglasses, bikinis, thumbs up, biting straws, diving board laziness, hot pavement on bare feet, oversexed condiments, awkward legs, leotards, scar secrets, shaking hands, high maintenance boys and sun kissed happiness.

After waking up on the couch at midnight, in a heat exhausted stupor I thought about how I really wanted someone there to pat my forehead with a cool washcloth, fetch me ice water with a bendy straw, walk me to my room and to tell me that by morning I will feel much better about everything. But I had to do these things on my own. It's okay, really. Everything is coming along just as it should.

I should have invested in waterproof mascara a long time ago.
But if my luck keeps up, I won't be needing it any time soon.


Steady as I go.

2 comments:

Elaine Von. said...

I am so happy to see you content with life again! Damn, this post made me smile beyond belief. I love you!

Brian said...

I am partial to the violets.

The line about everything being better in the morning, it was true even if you told it to yourself.

It reminded me of JS in shopgirl.
"I will protect you." Out of nowhere but somewhat comforting.